The Reverend Dr. Maltbie Davenport Babcock was born August 3, 1858 in Syracuse, New York. It was in the fall of 1887 that Dr. Babcock was called to his second pastorate, the Brown Memorial Presbyterian Church in Baltimore. He developed an almost universal appeal and was a very popular speaker at college campuses and counseled many young people. Indeed, he gathered so many that it became almost inevitable that the church would expand by spinning off a sister congregation.
In late 1888, the session of Brown Church authorized the establishment of a new Sunday school, which was begun in Clifton Hall on Druid Hill Avenue. In 1891, property was acquired at the corner of North and Madison Avenue to build a permanent home for the new congregation and a motion was passed naming the church the Park Presbyterian Church of Baltimore City.
The chapel was erected in 1892 and on May 30, 1893 the fledgling 34-member congregation was formally accepted into the Presbytery of Baltimore. After Dr. Babcock’s death in 1901, the church was renamed Babcock Memorial Presbyterian Church.
As the church matured and the congregation grew, many members began to suggest that the church's mission at North and Madison was nearing completion. The Session made arrangements with the Presbytery of Baltimore to move to a new location.
The Council of Churches had allotted a Loch Raven Boulevard site to the Presbyterian denomination which was part of the Stansbury Homestead. Slightly more than four acres of land were purchased by Babcock Memorial Presbyterian Church and the first service was held on October 9, 1949 in the Stansbury mansion.
On September 18, 1955, the main church building and two floors of the educational wing were dedicated. The church building was completed in 1966 when the third floor of the educational wing and the bell tower were constructed. The church experienced a period of growth and activity from 1966 until the middle of the next decade. In the early 1980s, the session passed a resolution to rename the church Babcock Presbyterian Church.
The members of Babcock Presbyterian Church have continued to solidify our identity as God's people and Christ's ambassadors to an aching world. Small group ministries that empower people to grow in their spirituality, an increasing awareness of our responsibility in the areas of mission and evangelism, along with making Christian Education for children and adults one of our high priorities have become some of the hallmarks of our congregation.
Above all, the call to be faithful disciples of Jesus Christ continues to be our highest priority as we seek to serve him and be a light in the community.
There is so much going on, so many ministries and activities to choose from, not to keep us busy, but to keep us grounded in Christ and in fellowship with each other so we can be empowered to tell the world the Good News of salvation!
In this narrative of the church, we hope you have caught the spirit of hope and possibility present in the life of Babcock. This is a time of growing, of expanding ministry and of a heartfelt searching for Gods guidance into the future.
Though this was a brief look back, the present church is looking forward! God bless and guide us and those who will follow, that the love of Jesus Christ may be proclaimed in word and deed through the people who are called.